[pmwiki-users] Install, blank page, session_name() error

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 10 07:22:33 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 11:44:44AM +0100, info at hassanein.ch wrote:
> Quoting info at hassanein.ch:
> > I installed pmWiki several times successful but now I face a problem.
> > Please find following the set-up:
> > Linux/Suse(SLES9)
> > Apache 2
> > php V4.3.4
> > pmWiki 2.2.0-beta29 and latest stable
> >
> > After the installation I get a blank page. I traced it down to the
> > following line in pmwiki.php in function SessionAuth (The code after
> > this line will not be executed):
> > "if (!auht && ($called>1 || !@$_REQUEST[session_name()])) return;"
>
> Well, I think, the package php session is not installed - I will check
> that first with the SysAdmin.

You are probably correct -- SUSE 9 (and 10.0) have a "php4" package
that doesn't include session support.

If you can get your system administrator to install the "php4-session"
package, then things should start working.

This is the second time this week that someone has run into this
problem, so perhaps I'll add some checking for session support into
the base code, so it at least provides an error message of some sort.