[pmwiki-users] utf inclusion - odd behavior.

Seth Cherney sethcherney at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 12:28:51 CST 2007

I can try, but Im not sure I will be able to reproduce this.  I will be online tomorow with the data at hand.

I must add, that after that last email, I updated to the latest beta in order to install zap,and my utf went completely haywire.  the problem on updating there may be somewhat difficult.  this is on the cut and paste utf-8.  I will try to reproduce some of these problems as well.

Lastly, I think what I need is a rospattern that goes from the utf 8 to the #nnn;, as this later one is working fine for Lucene. (ie,the saxon preprocessing for lucene does not, for some reason, accept extended characters as-is as valid xml) - the dev on the project tells me that xhtml should validate ie, that is is more correct to label xhtml as xml than as html.  this makes sense, since a tag like <scholium>some text</scholium> (an actual example of my tags) is invalid html,but valid xml and valid xhtml.

Thanks, Seth

"Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote: On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 04:43:44AM -0800, Seth Cherney wrote:
> I am trying to include utf-8 Greek letters, letters with diacritics,
> and diacritics only characters.  Using the cut and past method
> works fairly well.  However, the result is that, upon
> save, some of the characters are save in the format &#935;
> others are just saved as the letter.

First I should note that the PmWiki core doesn't do any sort
of conversions like this -- it all takes place in the browser.
All PmWiki ever sees is the &#935; form (and it dutifully
records it that way, assuming that the author intended it to
be that way.)

Still, we could probably come up with a $ROSPattern that would
automatically convert &#nnn; into their utf-8 counterpart --
would that work?

I've created a page on pmwiki.org where we can analyze this
a bit further -- could you add some text showing the problems
you're encountering there?

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/UTF-8/GreekDiacritics

Thanks,