[pmwiki-users] stopping simultaneous edits

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 13 16:30:06 CST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 02:01:28PM -0800, Nicholas Buttle wrote:
> hi
>
> I asked this before and wondered if I had missed a
> reply.  pardon me asking again.
>
> is it possible to stop simultaneous edits?  so if a
> user starts editing a page and a second user clicks
> edit then they get a 'page being edited' message.
>
> is that possible?

At present PmWiki doesn't have this capability.  Instead,
whenever two people attempt to edit the same page at the
same time, the system merges the edits together, and
warns the second person posting a change that the page was
changed during editing.

See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SimultaneousEdits .

When we have a standardized "work directory" it may be
possible for us to come up with an easy mechanism to at
least warn authors that someone else appears to be editing
a page.  Part of the problem is knowing when someone has
finished editing... especially in the case of an "abandoned edit"
(i.e., an author hits 'edit', but then changes his/her mind
and navigates to a different page).