[pmwiki-users] pagelist template brainstorming

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 19 11:28:32 CST 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 11:24:03AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On the topic of what to call first/each/last, here's part of
> a response that I sent to an off-list posting:
>
> > On Feb 18, 2007, at 12:46 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > > Then an author specifying "fmt=#title" in a pagelist command
> > > would automatically get the pages ordered by title unless
> > > overridden by an explicit "order=" parameter.
> >
> > I like this.  I like it BETTER if we can change the order for a set of
> > sub-items.  What if you want alphabetical group names, but order=-ctime
> > pages within the group?  Is there a way to do that?
>
> Perhaps "(:options order=group,{$$order}:)"?  This would say "order
> everything by group, and after that use whatever was given by the
> "order=" parameter in the pagelist directive.

Actually, upon thinking about it -- this won't work as written,
because the (:options:) directive is to specify defaults used only
when no equivalent parameter is given.  So, if (:pagelist:)
specifies an order= parameter, it overrides the (:options:) default.

So, perhaps something like

    (:options order=group,{$$suborder} :)

which would order everything by group, and after that use whatever
was given by the "suborder=" parameter in the pagelist directive.

(My previous comments about needing to replace "options" with
"pagelist-options" or "template-options" still apply.)