[pmwiki-users] Simple Forum Oddity

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 15:39:33 CST 2007

Friday, February 23, 2007, 8:20:52 PM, Philip wrote:

> A friend has tested it on his machine, and he can create a forum topic
> just fine.

> However, on another person's machine, using an older version of
> Microsoft Internet Explorer, I was unable to create a new forum topic.
> (I'm afraid I don't remember the IE version or the error message).

> Anybody have a clue why some people can create a new forum topic and
> others cannot?

I think IE is overzealous in interpreting a "page not found" error,
by a feature called "Show friendly HTTP error messages".
In  a IE browser you can turn it off under
Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab
Browsing section ->
uncheck "Show friendly HTTP error messages".

See more info http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294807

The New topic creation Simple forum uses directs to a non-existing
page, which will display the Commentbox ready to post the first
comment. But because the page does not exists, IE shows its friendly
error message instead of the pmwiki error message, which Simple Forum
manipulates into a friendly "post your comment here" or such.

Why IE does this is still a mystery to me. It says it only does show
"friendly error messages" when the error returned by the server is
less than 500 bytes long. But as I understood this is not the case
with pmwiki's "page not found" error returns

Hans