[pmwiki-users] Community Wiki Vision

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 14:33:48 CST 2007

Saturday, February 24, 2007, 8:06:25 PM, Philip wrote:

> The other side would befor news/forums/eventcalendar, etc. with pages that change a
> lot but where there will be aneed tocontrol carefully the content.  Forexample, the
> news page would be under the control of one or moreeditors, wherenothing can be posted
> except by one of the editors.  Themoderated forum page would allow anyone toview the
> postings, but would require a login in which the user isrequired toprovide a real
> identity, an email address, and make postings usingfirst and last name.  The forum user
> could edithis own posts afterposting, but not anyone else’s.  Theevent calendar would
> allow anyone to make a posting, but only thatperson couldedit the posting, and the wiki
> would cause the posting to shift to an"archive" page assoon as the calendar overtook
> the event date.  The site should be verysecure, whatever that means.

Hi Philip,

I just like to comment on the above detailed requirements you are
making. I see a wiki and PmWiki as a much more open participatory
environment. With PmWiki you can require people to login, and give
individual people user name sand passwords. Then lock all or parts of
the wiki so the general public cannot edit pages. Perhaps not even
read some. But I have not seen an implementation where contributors
can only edit their own contributions, and not any others. Well one
could create a new page and then lock the edit of it with a password.
But you are running into a nightmare of different passwords for
different pages.

To provide the  sort of security details you are after for a forum I
think phpBB is much better suited. I developed a simple forum for
PmWiki, but it relies on honesty and fair play from people
contributing, so they will not delete or change other people's posts.
I think you will find that throughout the wiki world. Soft security is
more important than rigid enforced rules.

Most important is to get people to participate in the first place, and
make it open and easy to do so.

Hans