[pmwiki-users] WikiTrails with branches?

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 17:59:34 CST 2007

--- Martin Fick <mogulguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Steve Glover <steve at fell-services.net> wrote:
>
> > I have a sequence of pages that relate to a
> > procedure for setting up
> > membership in an organisation, and there are a
> > couple of points where
> > the user could go off to one of three different
> > pages, but then come
> > back to the same page:
> >
> >                     /-> PageTwoA \
> > PageOne --> PageTwo --> PageTwoB --> PageThree -->
> PageFour
> >                     \-> PageTwoC /
>

> You could probably just build a trail that looked
> like
> this:
>
> * PageOne
> * PageTwo
> * PageTwoA
> * PageThree
> * PageFour
>
> * PageTwo
> * PageTwoB
> * PageThree
>
> * PageTwo
> * PageTwoC
> * PageThree
>
> I haven't tested this, but with the way that looping
> is allowed, this would probably achieve what you
> want.
>  The normal progression from PageTwo would be to
> PageTwoA, but if the user happened to get to
> PageTwoB
> or PageTwoC from PageTwo, the prev and next links
> would probably get set right for him.  The only
> problem I see is that PageFour will loop back around
> to PageTwo!
>
> -Martin

To avoid that looping glitch, you could also define
the bottom two trail sections on separate trail pages
so instead you would have:

Trail Main:
 * PageOne
 * PageTwo
 * PageTwoA
 * PageThree
 * PageFour

TrailB:
 * PageTwo
 * PageTwoB
 * PageThree

TrailC:
 * PageTwo
 * PageTwoC
 * PageThree

On PageTwoB (and C) you would reference the alternate
trails in your trail markup:

  <|[[TrailB]]|>

Again, the default next from PageTwo would point to
PageTwoA.  The default prev from PageThree would also
point to PageTwoA,

-Martin