[pmwiki-users] supporting a variety of uploads

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 3 12:40:13 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 09:11:18AM -0800, Nicholas Buttle wrote:

> However,  the real problem here is files with spaces
> parenthesis etc etc in the filename.  I would really
> like to allow the uploading of any file that resides
> on our network.  ie if it's allowed as a filename by
> the OS then it should be by PMWiki.
> [...]

I agree that spaces and parenthesis are an issue that
we ought to deal with if we can.  However, I do need
to point out that the constraint isn't characters allowed
in a *filename* by the OS, but rather the characters
allowed in a url by web standards and the browser (because
browsers are our primary interface).  And we have to
have some characters that indicate the limits of the
link itself, as well as any alternate text or special
decorations, etc.

I'm not saying it's not doable, I'm just saying it's not
as simple as it might seem at first.