[pmwiki-users] Strange problem with german umlauts

Christian Bartolomaeus bartolin at gmx.de
Tue Jan 9 03:44:59 CST 2007

Hi,

I ran into a strange problem when I copied a PmWiki to a new server.
Everything seemed to work fine except links containing german umlauts.
Instead of "Main.JahrGänge" PmWiki linked to "Main.JahrGaNge".

Assuming this was caused by a missing locale I installed the locale
"de_DE.ISO8859-1" (as the systems default) and added a line

  setlocale(LC_CTYPE, 'de_DE.ISO8859-1');

to my config.php. After that I reloaded the HomePage of my wiki in my
broswer window and the link to "Main.JahrGänge" worked.

But ... after a few minutes I reloaded the page again and the link was
"Main.JahrGaNge" again. I didn't change anything in the meantime.
Another few minutes later the link changed back to "Main.JahrGänge".
And so on -- it seems to be purely accidental whether the link works
or not.

I suspect there is something wrong with either the web server
(apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/LINUX) or my php installation
(PHP/5.1.6-0.dotdeb.2) (or PmWiki -- i run 2.1.26).

Unfortunately I can't give an url to look at -- at least not here on
the list. If someone would be so kind to take a closer look I can sent
the url in a private mail.

Any hints where to look for the problem are appreciated.

Best regards

Christian