[pmwiki-users] Link to description of PmWiki on Wikimatrix.org?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 12 10:57:31 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 04:42:34PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> A few questions regarding the different sections:
>
> !!! General Features
>
> * Are we already on version 2.2?  (I thought it was still beta)

I'm not sure who changed it to read 2.2.  Yes, we're still beta.

> * The url given is 'www.pmwiki.org'. Really doens't matter, but
>   'pmwiki.org' also works and is shorter. The first has a 'www' in
>   it though.

Either works, yes.

> * I thought the data storage *could* be a database if you want to?

It can... when I last updated the record they didn't have the option
to select multiple.  But also, even though it's possible to have
PmWiki with a database backend I'm not aware of a widely-used
or maintained recipe for doing this.

> * There is no entry for the 'intended audience'. Frankly, I don't
>   know who the intended audience is... "Everybody"? :-)

I've just left this blank for now -- to me it's basically anybody.  :-)

> !!! Datastorage
>
> * There's an option for 'Other'.  It's currently 'No', but IIRC the user
>   can set up his own backend for doing this. Maybe there should be a note
>   about this?

Added.

> !!! Security/Anti-Spam
> * 'Authentication Backends', I thought PmWiki supported more than that
>   just because of how often it's discussed on this list :-)  (I don't know
>   though)

Which ones do you think are missing?  That's a pretty good list we
have there already.  :-)

> !!! Development/Support
>
> What is 'Preconfigured Hosting'? Does it mean that there are host services
> that has PmWiki already configured for you?

Yes.

> Currently it is set to no. Does anyone know of a hosting service that
> provides PmWiki for you?

I've heard that GoDaddy is providing this, but haven't confirmed it
myself.  If someone wants to confirm this for me, that'd be great.

> !!! Special Features
>
> * Right-to-Left support: This field hasn't been filled. I suspect it
>   should be 'optional' according to the description of the feature.
>   (Btw, this might be something PmWiki should try and support, in
>   case users of RTL languages are desired)

I've done a couple of experiments with RTL language support in the
past, and it does work in PmWiki if the templates and CSS are correctly
created to support it.  But I don't know how well supported it is.

"Optional" on wikimatrix means that it's available as an easy-to-configure
option in the distribution package.  Since we don't have an obvious
option for this, the best we could do is "plugin" (but I'd want to be
able to point to a plugin or skin that enables RTL support before
claiming this).

> !!! Links
>
> * What is 'SisterWiki'?

SisterWiki is the ability to automatically link to pages of the
same name in another wiki.  For example, if someone was able to
have [[MyPage]] automatically link to existing pages on pmwiki.org.

> * What is 'Windows Shares'? (PmWiki has it...)

This is the ability to link to files held on Windows shares --
e.g., using the file:/// syntax.

> !!! Syntax features
>
> * Whas is 'FAQ Tags' (PmWiki has it...)

A syntax to create a list of frequently asked questions.
(For any of the wikimatrix features, hovering over the attribute
name gives a brief description.)

> !!! Usability
>
> * 'WYSIWYG Editign'. It says PmWiki has it as a plugin???

This is/was the RichEdit recipe, which had been worked on for some
time.  I'm guessing that recipe is now obsolete/no longer functional,
so perhaps we should change this back to "No".

> !!! Syntax Examples
>
> * Internal Link. I think maybe we should add:
> 	[[page name#anchor]]
>   as an example of going to an anchor.

Added.

> * Headlines. Another wiki had an example for the equivalent of:
> 	! Level 1 [[#anchor]]   - heading with an anchor

PmWikiPhilosophy #3.  :-)

> Are there any features of PmWiki that hasn't been listed on that page?

Probably lots of them.  Maybe check the PmWiki.Features page and
see if there's anything that ought to be added?

Since PmWiki.Features is so difficult to keep up to date, I've been
thinking that perhaps we should simply reference the wikimatrix.org
page.