[pmwiki-users] Link to description of PmWiki on Wikimatrix.org?

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 16:04:07 CST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> * There is no entry for the 'intended audience'. Frankly, I don't
>>   know who the intended audience is... "Everybody"? :-)
>
> I've just left this blank for now -- to me it's basically anybody.  :-)

I think it should probably be "anybody" then... otherwise some people will
be confused... This is what MoinMoin wrote:

 	Everybody with <<100.000 pages. :)

>> !!! Security/Anti-Spam
>> * 'Authentication Backends', I thought PmWiki supported more than that
>>   just because of how often it's discussed on this list :-)  (I don't know
>>   though)
>
> Which ones do you think are missing?  That's a pretty good list we
> have there already.  :-)

I'm not at all into the authentification stuff, but given all the traffic
I see about it (and try to ignore:-) I would thought the list was longer.

This is what MoinMoin wrote though:

 	modular, scriptable. ldap/AD, http, cookie, ssl client cert,
 	others possible

Maybe you should see the comparsion for yourself:

 	http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/PmWiki+MoinMoin

>> !!! Special Features
>>
>> * Right-to-Left support: This field hasn't been filled. I suspect it
>>   should be 'optional' according to the description of the feature.
>>   (Btw, this might be something PmWiki should try and support, in
>>   case users of RTL languages are desired)
>
> I've done a couple of experiments with RTL language support in the
> past, and it does work in PmWiki if the templates and CSS are correctly
> created to support it.  But I don't know how well supported it is.
>
> "Optional" on wikimatrix means that... it's available as an
> easy-to-configure option in the distribution package.  Since we don't
> have an obvious option for this, the best we could do is "plugin" (but
> I'd want to be able to point to a plugin or skin that enables RTL
> support before claiming this).

Hmm... I followed the information link

 	http://www.wikimatrix.org/wiki/feature:Right-to-Left%20Support

which said:

 	Optional: The CSS can be modified such that the body element can
 	be designated right-to-left. Maybe text formatting rules exist
 	that can added to designate different sections as right-to-left
 	(usually inserting an appropriately styled DIV element).

I don't know where you found your text, but to me it seems quite possible
to modify the CSS as desired. Not as easily as setting
 	$EnableRTL = true;
of course.

I'm not sure just modifying the default skin should be considered a
plugin.

>> !!! Links
>>
>> * What is 'SisterWiki'?
>
> SisterWiki is the ability to automatically link to pages of the
> same name in another wiki.  For example, if someone was able to
> have [[MyPage]] automatically link to existing pages on pmwiki.org.

Hey, that'd be pretty neat. Especially between wikis in a farm...

Is there a PITS for this?

>> * What is 'Windows Shares'? (PmWiki has it...)
>
> This is the ability to link to files held on Windows shares --
> e.g., using the file:/// syntax.

ok... (those don't work in Opera for security reasons:-(

>> !!! Syntax features

About internal links... In order to emphasize the 'free link' aspect,
maybe modify it to:

 	[[free link]]
 	[[free link | link text]]
 	[[link text -> free link]]
 	[[free link #anchor]]
 	[[~profile]]

Not sure if something like
 	[[free link (hidden)]]
should be added as an additional line.

>> * Whas is 'FAQ Tags' (PmWiki has it...)
>
> A syntax to create a list of frequently asked questions.
> (For any of the wikimatrix features, hovering over the attribute
> name gives a brief description.)

Hmm... that doesn't work for me. I get something when hovering over the
information link [i], but nothing else. (using Opera 7... very old).

>> * Headlines. Another wiki had an example for the equivalent of:
>> 	! Level 1 [[#anchor]]   - heading with an anchor
>
> PmWikiPhilosophy #3.  :-)

Eh?  I don't see how that applies as [[#anchor]] is an existing feature?
(Are you thinking of visible anchors, i.e. [[##anchor]] IIRC?)

In case of confusion, the purpose would be to illustrate how you mark the
target anchor of something like [[page#anchor]]. This really ought to have
it's own entry though as most anything can get an anchor.

>> Are there any features of PmWiki that hasn't been listed on that page?
>
> Probably lots of them.  Maybe check the PmWiki.Features page and
> see if there's anything that ought to be added?
>
> Since PmWiki.Features is so difficult to keep up to date, I've been
> thinking that perhaps we should simply reference the wikimatrix.org
> page.

That sounds like a good idea.

Are you (Patrick) allowed to add features that aren't already known in
wikimatrix?  For instance, I didn's see anything in the feature list about
the ability to place anchors.

/Christian