[pmwiki-users] Parentheses in links

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 09:23:25 CST 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:

> I just added a link to the
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_(musical_notation) into the "See
> Also" section of http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AbcMusic in case
> somebody is curious to know more about it.
>
> I noted, though, that parentheses () in the url are "cleaned", somehow.
> By chance, the result is an useful url anyway.

That is on purpose. The idea is that you can create a link like this:

 	[[ (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/)SomePage(Hidden) ]]

and the link text becomes

 	SomePage

instead of

 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/SomePageHidden

It's quite nifty although annoying with URIs that use (). To get the (),
you need to write something like %28 for '(' - I don't remember the exact
numbers unfortuntaely but I'm sure they're in the FAQ.

> I wonder if this behaviour is "normal" and, if so, it has to be kept.

Don't know... might be possible to disable it, Patrick?

A better approach might be to use a '{}' instead of '()', althought maybe
that would crash with some other markup. I don't know if this can be
changed either.

/Christian