[pmwiki-users] Suggestions

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 08:43:03 CST 2007

In terms of learning skin production, I suggest looking at several of
the existing skins to see how others do it. While essentially a skin
is nothing more than a single HTML page with PmWiki "hooks" and CSS,
prior examples are a good start.

As for learning design and some CSS, www.csszengarden.com/ is a great
place to go. The submissions are all based on remarking the exact same
HTML page. This shows the power of CSS as well as some neat tricks.

As for designing your own, I would recommend first coding a very basic
HTML structure sans CSS. You'll end up with a very unappealing page.
Then, use CSS to shape the page (adding width and float to divs,
etc.). Finally, add color, etc. I would suggest you be prepared to
create two CSS stylesheets, one for media=screen and another for
media=print.

As far as learning CSS, I would suggest googling about to find the CSS
resource you are comfortable with. I found a couple or three that
helped me early on.

Finally, feel free to experiment and throw away your style sheet. Once
you have a skin HTML you're happy with, the CSS can come and go.

On 1/16/07, Mark Trumpold <mark at ruthtrumpold.id.au> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am now getting to the stage of my wiki site to NOW learn css and skin
> producing.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get started or a good resource
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" --- Churchill