[pmwiki-users] configure edit textarea size

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 17 08:42:09 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 03:21:33PM +0100, noskule wrote:
> hi list
> I try to configure the size of the editmode textarea field
>
> So far I understand could I change the values in Site.Preferences
>
> But this has no effect.

The Site.Preferences page takes effect only if it's loaded by
local/config.php:

    XLPage('prefs', 'Site.Preferences');

See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SitePreferences.

> In the sourcecode threres still written
>     <textarea name='text' id='text' rows='23' cols='60'

This line is actually not used in normal setups -- it's
there only as a 'fallback' for when the edit page cannot be
loaded.  Normally PmWiki gets its rows= and cols= values
from the Site.EditForm (and uses the values given by
preferences).

One can also set the preference values from local/config.php:

    XLSDV('en', array('e_rows'=>20, e_cols=>40));

> Best for me would be to disable rows and cols so that i could use width.
> How would I do this?

The CSS 'width' property always takes precedence over any
cols= value provided.  So, if you want to use width and
height properties, just do that and then you don't have to
worry about the rows= or cols= values at all.  (You can see
this at work on pmwiki.org, where the textarea tag says
<textarea name='text' id='text' rows='23' cols='60' ...>
but the actual width is set by the width CSS property to
always be 100%, thus ignoring the cols= attribute.)