[pmwiki-users] Suggestions

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Fri Jan 19 13:58:50 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 06:51:17PM -0000, marc wrote:
> > Sandy said...
>
> CSS is great, and
> can be made to do columns if the relative sizes of elements are
> fairly static, but I once spent weeks trying to come up with
> a flexible column-based skin for PmWiki that didn't use tables,
> and I finally decided the effort wasn't worth it.

Please cite, and let us go to work.

> I totally understand (and even largely agree with) the
> semantic-web reasons for using tables only for table-oriented
> content.  But my experience is that from a practical perspective,
> the current browser and CSS implementations (and even the design
> of CSS) means that it's still _far_ easier to do layouts with
> tables than other means.

While I disagree with your assertion, fervently, I certainly agree - as
I have before - that CSS is a very poor implementation of a
typographical solution to our presentational needs. It's years since the
thought of using tables remotely crossed my mind (for anything other
than tables) and I see no reason to look back. That said, it's even
longer since I considered procedural code, yet here I am with PmWiki ;-)

--
Cheers,
Marc