[pmwiki-users] Search box on PmWiki.org

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed Jan 24 11:15:25 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:38:01AM -0500, Sandy wrote:
>> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>> Hmmm, perhaps we could put the desired ordering in parens
>>> or brackets after the item to be ordered?
>>>
>>> which means to select only those pages where $:Category is
>>> "Bug", "Feature", or "Documentation", and to display them in
>>> that sequence.  To sort by name within those groupings,
>>> one would use:
>>>
>>>     (:pagelist order=$:Category,name $:Category=(Bug,Feature,Documentation) :)
>> One extra search field, incorporating group= on pmwiki.org, that's all I
>> was expecting. And instead we get ... something that will be even more
>> powerful.
>
> Well, I always tend to think in terms of "How can I solve a whole
> bunch of problems" as opposed to implementing quick fixes for a single
> problem.

I forgot to add the smilie. Thinking big, and doing a good job of it, is
how the program got to be so good in the first place.

> I'm also thinking that I may want the default output format
> to display summaries along with the pagenames, instead of just
> pagenames as it does now.

Leave it as an option for the reader. I think they can be confusing.

For pmwiki.org, maybe pages with titles that include the search term
should come first. If I'm looking for "passwords", the pages with that
word in them are more useful than ones where someone has said "and
remember to set a password".

> But this is a case where having cleaner search results on pmwiki.org
> probably trumps the desire to match the out-of-the-box functionality.

Isn't there already a page listing the differences? Most of the
differences are minor and good examples of how easy it is to customize it.

Search all of PmWiki.org: (:searchbox:)
Search PmWiki and Cookbook Groups only: (:searchbox group=pmiki,cookbook:)

Cheer!

Sandy