[pmwiki-users] Wiki.d and its UID or GID

IchBin weconsul at ptd.net
Wed Jan 24 12:59:26 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 01:17:41PM -0500, IchBin wrote:
>> Just wondering if any pmWiki scripts, at any time, change the UID or GID
>> for Wiki.d folder or any files below it?
>>
>> I don't think it does but just wanted to make sure with out having to
>> search the code.
>
> PmWiki doesn't change file ownerships or permissions of existing
> files -- if only because it cannot.  There have definitely
> been many times where I wish it could...but most operating
> systems don't allow normal users to change UID/GID of existing
> files (only superuser/root can do that).
>
> One thing to note, however, is that things will often appear as
> though PmWiki changes file ownerships of pages in the wiki.d/
> directory, but this isn't really what happens. Whenever PmWiki
> saves a page, it does so by first creating a new file for the
> page and then replacing the existing file with the new one.
> The new file is owned by the PmWiki process (usually the
> webserver account), so it "looks like" PmWiki has changed
> file ownership when it fact it simply removed the old file
> and replaced it with a new one.
>
> Pm

Thanks Patrick for you response. I am just having major headaches, with
a free hosting site, that are changing these settings. So naturally I
have a hard time setting the correct permissions.

--
Thanks in Advance...           http://weconsul.zendurl.com
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA   http://ichbinquotations.awardspace.com