[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Problem with ActionLog recipe

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Jan 28 04:53:44 CST 2007

On 1/28/07, f.r.salomons <salomons at wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> I have a problem with ActionLog recipe.
> My website is intended for use by a restricted group only. Most pages
> are restricted for viewing and editing. A while ago, I found out that
> the ActionLog recipe is very useful for logging login/logout-actions by
> members of the user group (see the thread "Re: Recipe for making logging
> succesful logins?" some weeks ago). The ActionLog recipe makes it
> possible to exclude logging simple actions like viewing or printing
> pages. By excluding logging other actions as edit, diff, attr, etc, you
> end up logging only login/logout actions.
>
> So far so good. Only recently, I discovered that only part of the logins
> are being logged! When a user logs in ON the main page (through the
> login box which I created in the sidebar), everything is fine. The same
>  goes for logins, performed on another non-restricted page. However,
> when a user is prompted to log in when he tries to reach a
> for-users-only-page, the login is NOT logged by ActionLog.
>
> The difference seems to be that logins are only being recorded when
> completed on a page for which the user already has enough rights. While
> many users (I hope) are logging in simply by following a link to a
> restricted page and then being - prompted for it - giving their
> username/password, I would like to log that also.
>
> Any advice would be welcome!
>
> thanks, Frits

I don't know if you saw my recent post of a new logging snippet in
ZAP, but I did set one up for you.  You can see it at

http://www.fast.st/zap/pmwiki.php?n=Snippets.LoggingPlus.

I really like the way it works, as it creates both a log for
individual members, and a daily log. It is quite flexible.

Anyway, ZAP could solve this problem, but it would require a bit of
reworking your site.

1) Each member has to have a Member Profile with their user account
info. See the Register snippet.
2) You manually create the LoggingPlus form anywhere on your site you
want to put it.
3) Site.AuthForm is edited and changed to a simple link to your login
form. It didn't seem to work to put a ZAP form in Site.AuthForm. Can't
remember why...

For that matter, you could do this for your existing setup.  Just
change Site.AuthForm to something that links to your main login page,
and hide the actual login form on that page.  Be sure to backup the
form there somewhere in case you want to restore it.

Granted this is a bit of a hack, but it works great for me.  Perhaps
someone else
will offer a better solution.

Cheers
Dan

PS.  Not having used the ActionLog recipe, no clue why you are getting
this problem.