[pmwiki-users] color history

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 29 09:26:13 CST 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 01:43:17PM -0000, mike reqavey wrote:

>    greetings
>    I'd like to know if there is a skin that accentuates the changes made to a
>    page. Perhaps adding color to more readily show different versions of the
>    same page?
>    When I look at the history of a page I'd like to quickly see the changes,
>    spelling, punctuation...

This is PITS #00571, at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00571.
Feel free to comment there.

I've commented on this in the past, and the big issue is that
it's somewhat difficult to detect changes that involve markup.
It can also be difficult to display deleted text.

If someone can describe how the display ought to look, I can
see about prototyping something for it.  In the past when this
has come up people would say "it's done in wiki XYZ", but
whenever I've checked that's because wiki XYZ displays the
differences in the raw markup but not the rendered output.
(PmWiki defaults to displaying the rendered differences.)

So, unless we switch to displaying raw markup in the history
by default (and the differences there), I need some better
guidance or examples of how the results should look.  And I
can come up with some pretty pathological cases pretty quickly. :-)

Thanks!

Pm

P.S.:  A related note about history is at PITS #00642.