[pmwiki-users] Image markup (Was: viewing uploaded images)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 07:13:36 CDT 2007

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Petko Yotov wrote:

>> I don't have a better suggestion though... it makes sense that a
>> [[...]] should always produce a link.
>>
>> Here's how I often use images:
>>
>>  	%center width=50pct%\
>>  	[[Attach:some image name.jpg | \
>>            Attach:some image name.jpg"This is the image title!"]]\
>>  	[[<<]]

>> My problem with it is that it's a bit long, and difficult to remember.
>> It's especially bothersome when the image URI is long.

I should probably also say that I mostly refer to images in a Subversion
repository. There's not much difference though as I use a prefix for those
as well. The paths still tend to be quite long however.

>> Maybe some better/dedicated markup for doing something along these lines
>> would be easier. I think the markup achieves the following:
>>
>> * The result is an image
>> * The image is horizontally adjusted (less important)
>> * It should be easy to change the size of the image
>>    (typically making it smaller)
>> * Clicking on the image should show you the full immage
>> * There should be a way to add a title

> There are several recipes for picture galleries within PmWiki. For
> example ThumbList [1] can do smaller versions (thumbnails) of bigger
> pictures and the markup, corresponding to yours above, for 200 pixels
> thumb width, would be:
>
>   (:thumb "some image name.jpg" align=center width=200
>   titlefmt="This is the image title!" captionfmt="A caption below":)

I'm probably not really looking for gallery functionality, but rather
suggesting that an improved syntax is made as a reciper or even part of
the PmWiki core. This syntax should then make it easier for an author to
embed images in a nice way. It should also in my opinion encourage the
author to add an alternate text, and perhaps even a figure caption.

Having said that, basing such functionality on a gallery might be a very
good choice.

To conclude, my main purpose of these posts were to let Patrick know that
I as an experienced author finds the current syntax a bit cumbersome.

Thanks and regards
Christian