[pmwiki-users] Search button - clean url issue (default skin)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 16 15:59:18 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 03:04:51PM +0300, Athan Dimoy wrote:
> Attn PM:
>
> Default skin's search button on top, returns a non-clean url.
> Please read http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00899

I went ahead and answered this on the PITS page, but just to
summarize here:

The problem is that some browsers won't recognize query
string arguments (such as "?n=Group.PageName") that appear
in the 'action=' parameter of forms.  Therefore the search form
that is in the skin template must either always use the "?n=" form,
or else have some way of testing $EnablePathInfo to know when it's
safe to include or exclude the extra parameter.

Since there's not an easy way to test $EnablePathInfo inside of
a skin template, the form defaults to always using the "?n=" form
of url.

It could be fixed by providing a separate function that is called
from the template to test $EnablePathInfo and generate the correct
form parameters, but there hasn't been enough demand for this to
warrant changing it.  (And a site is always free to use a custom
template that explicitly uses the correct url format for that site.)
So, I'm likely to leave this as "working as intended" for the time
being.

Hope this helps, and thanks!