[pmwiki-users] PmWiki 'Basic Editing' Documentation suggestion

Nelson Ingersoll nelson.ingersoll at email.com
Mon Jul 23 12:37:07 CDT 2007

Please forgive me for being new.  I'm not normally this perfectly ignorant.

I'm struggling with simple markups.  So I refer to the 'Basic Editing' wiki
and see things which I try.  Unfortunately there are problems.  These
problems befuddle me as I think I have read the documentation correctly and
am applying the markups correctly.  Until suddenly I had an epiphany of
understanding.  *Blank lines are your friends!  Use them often!*

Advice I would toss out to New Users like me:

    If something isn't displaying the way you think it should
    and the markups all look good, put some *blank lines*
    into your page!  Not the displayable blank lines using
    markups '\\' and '\\\'.  Rather, blank lines like

    this and that

    In some ways it is helpful to think of a blank line as a
    terminator of the last markup instruction.

Here's an example of what was driving me completely NUTZ!  Paste it into
your WikiSandbox to see what I mean.

-----
Markup that looks good to a novice; '''but isn't!'''
-----
>>center<<
[+++Centered One+++]
>><<
\\
!!Heading One\\
[[Path:pub/doc1.pdf | Document1]]\\\
----
\\
>>center<<
[+++Centered Two+++]
>><<
!!Heading Two\\
[[Path:pub/doc2.pdf | Document2]]\\

----
----

-----
Markup that looks good to a novice; '''AND IS!'''
-----

>>center<<
[+++Centered Three+++]
>><<