[pmwiki-users] Conceptual challenges from ZAPwiki...

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Sat Jun 2 12:29:11 CDT 2007

Henrik wrote:
> Two points:
>
> 1. Would it make sense to move this thread to the pmwiki-devel forum?

It would make sense to move it to a ZAPwiki forum. I'm sure a tasteful,
rare advertisement here would be acceptable. Also advertise outside the
PmWiki community, so that people who are not here could also participate.

> 2. I get a bit concerned when Patrick feels compelled to repeat points
> previously made, particularly in relation to a challenge to his
> legitimacy, or the legitimacy of his technical positions.

Especially from someone who admits he doesn't know much about Apache,
PHP or security, and bypasses PmWiki's built-in security then is
surprised when holes open up. Dan has not earned my trust in his abilities.

Pm, by virtue of his explanations, quick, public and thorough responses
to security risks, and the knowledgeable and helpful following he has
gathered, has earned that trust.

----

Kudos to Dan for attempting projects as ambitious as ZAP and ZAPwiki.
He's come a long way. But this is a PmWiki group, not a ZAP group, not a
"Learn PHP, Apache and security" group.

Programming at Pm's level takes years of experience and learning in many
environments and a variety of projects. Dan has made it out of the
shallow end of the pool -- which is quite an accomplishment, well beyond
my own ambitions -- but if Pm says there might be a kraken in the ocean,
I'll err on the safe side.

Dan has given much back to the community: The ZAP/Acme package, and the
recipes that use it. Alternate ideas for how things can be done.
Questions that made people think.

But ZAPwiki is a separate program. Therefore, it should cut the apron
strings. Let it exist on its own merits and attract its own following.

Sandy