[pmwiki-users] Simultaneous edit didn't work on concurrent click

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jun 4 17:31:51 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:05:21PM +0000, Kar Leong wrote:
> Thanks PM for the speedy response.
>
> Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:
> >
> > A couple of questions:
> >   - what version of PmWiki
>  the PmWiki version is 2.1.27
>
> >   - is there a url where I could test this for myself?
>  unfortunately, the server is in a standalone network.
>
> >   - what OS and webserver software is the server using?
>  the OS is STOP operating system running on XTS400 server produce by BAE
> Sytems.  It is a Linux-like propretiary high assurance system.  The webserver
> is Apache 1.3.34, php-4.2.2

Interesting.  I wonder if file locking is somehow working
differently on that system from what normally occurs on other
systems.  If the file locking is somehow different, then PmWiki
might not be able to detect or prevent two people from updating the
same file at the same time.

Perhaps you could try the latest 2.2.0-beta version?  I think I
made a couple of minor adjustments to the locking algorithm
in 2.2.0-beta (but nothing that would explain what you're seeing).
Also, if you're just starting out it would probably be better to
start with 2.2.0-beta.

If neither of the above provide any clues, I might send you a simple
test program to try on your server to test the file locking and
see what it produces.

Lastly, could you perhaps send me a description of the _exact_ steps
you're taking that evoke the bug?  In these situations I find it's
often easy to describe the process in terms of "Alice" and "Bob" --
e.g.,

  - Alice requests Main.WikiSandbox for editing
  - Bob requests Main.WikiSandbox for editing
  - Alice types her name into the WikiSandbox page
  - Bob  types his name into the WikiSandbox page
  - Alice and Bob both press "Save" at the same time
  - Alice sees a copy of the page with her name in it
  - Bob is brought back to the edit form with a message that
    someone has edited the page since he started editing

Thanks!