[pmwiki-users] How to show only the first 100 words of content of a wikipage?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 11:50:13 CDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Eugene Van den Bulke <eugene at boardkulture.com> wrote:

> Martin Spindler wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > for the startpage of my blogsimple2 wiki I would like to show a summary
> > of every post. How can I show only the first 100 words (or first
> > paragraph, or ???) of each wikipage?
> >
> > Looking forward for any advice/hint.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Martin.
>
> On http://www.3kwa.com I include on the homepage the first 3 lines of
> the latest post in the Logbook group, fine tune and your are set ;)
>
> >>bgcolor=#a4b6c8 padding=2px<<
>
> (:pagelist group=Logbook count=1 order=-name fmt=#lnews list=normal
> name=-HomePage:)
>
> >><<
>
> with
>
> fmt=#lnews
>
> For the display of the latest news on the home page
>
> [[#lnews]]
> !!{=$Name}
> (:include {=$FullName} self=0 lines=3:)
>
> %right% [[{=$FullName} | ... more ...]]
> [[#lnewsend]]

The way PmWiki works, three lines = three paragraphs, correct?  And any or
all of them could be blank rows and/or wikicode rather than text, also
correct?

The matter of displaying some portion of the content of a page, where that
portion is determined more or less automatically, rather than by a pair of
[[# anchor]] tags, comes up various places, and I haven't seen one final set
of answers -- I'm thinking about applications such as page-summaries for
search results, and for RSS feeds, as well as for blog-like excerpts.

What are the various ways of identifying excerpts and defining them to
exclude wikicode, and what would be a good place to assemble the
information?  Does the newish recipe
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarkupExpressions add anything to the
solutions that have been developed? How does (:description ...:) fit into
this?

I think this should all become a page, or at least an FAQ item.

* (:description ... :) -- Page directive; manually created; can be used on a
page to provide meta-tag info for the page, and can be displayed via [?].
* (:description ... :) -- Page directive; manually created; can be used
[where?] to provide meta-tag for the entire wiki
e.g.) to provide search-result summary, and can be displayed via
{Group/Page$:Summary}
* Pagelist with teasers --
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistTemplateSamples#Teasers; uses
(:include ... lines=x:); each line is a paragraph; will include wikimarkup

Which, if any, of these generates the <description> content that (I think)
an RSS display anticipates?