[pmwiki-users] Brainstorming Question (Integrating Subversion c/ PmWiki?)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:04:34 CDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Martin Fick wrote:

>> I'm curious to know what could be done to integrate Subversion with
>> PmWiki. What I mean is, having a source code repository in Subversion
>> that is browsable via PmWiki.

The LyX project uses PmWiki, Subversion and Bugzilla, go to
 	http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel

to check things out in action. From the top of my head, here's how I've
"integrated" them, further suggestions are very welcome of course.

* Prefix for linking into the version controlled files.
   Note that the browsing the repository is done using 'Trac',
   although I don't use the wiki in 'Trac'.
** The Trac browser

* A directive that takes a file from the repository and embeds
   it in a wiki page. Very useful to insert the contents
   of e.g. a file such as 'RELEASE-NOTES'.

* Special prefixes and markup for linking to bugs, e.g.
 	LyXBug:3232

* Special markup that invokes bugzilla to produce a list of
   bugs that's embedded in a wiki page

<snip>

> None of this seems particularly useful, especially since there are
> already nice web front ends to subversion.  Was the goal to provide an
> easier mechanism to customize such front ends using wiki markup?  Were
> you asking the question to brainstorm or because you had a particular
> application in mind?

I've found the integration I've done above quite useful, and I'm sure
there is much more that could be done in terms of integration. It's
probably a good idea to check how other wikis (e.g. Trac) have dealt
with this.

Best regards,
/Christian