[pmwiki-users] Image markup (Was: viewing uploaded images)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 13:00:10 CDT 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> You have tu write
>>
>>     Attach:filename.jpg
>>
>> and not
>>
>>     [[Attach:filename.jpg]]
>>

>> The first way (without brackets) works fine for me.
>> The second way generates a link to the image.
>
> PmWiki's general rule of thumb is that anything in [[...]] generates a
> link (or link target).

This is actually a bit confusing. Even as a long time user it happens
relatively often that I expect [[...]] to result in an image. Phrased
differently, it's not so intuitive having to do:

 	[[Attach:some image name.jpg | Attach:some image name.jpg]]

I don't have a better suggestion though... it makes sense that a [[...]]
should always produce a link.

Here's how I often use images:

 	%center width=50pct%\
 	[[Attach:some image name.jpg | \
           Attach:some image name.jpg"This is the image title!"]]\
 	[[<<]]

My problem with it is that it's a bit long, and difficult to remember.
It's especially bothersome when the image URI is long.

Maybe some better/dedicated markup for doing something along these lines
would be easier. I think the markup achieves the following:

* The result is an image
* The image is horizontally adjusted (less important)
* It should be easy to change the size of the image
   (typically making it smaller)
* Clicking on the image should show you the full immage
* There should be a way to add a title

This way of rescaling the image is inefficient for large images, so maybe
some gallery-like cacheing mechanism ought to be included.

This is all just some thoughts/comments regarding how to deal with images,
in case there are other users who'd like to discuss this.

/Christian