[pmwiki-users] Questions re Multilingual feature on PmWiki

Donald Z. Osborn dzosborn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:31:08 CST 2007

If I understand correctly (my reach not infrequently exceeds my grasp in
some of these things), the multilanguage.php file lets the user's system
preferences determine the language of interface (per
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MultiLanguage ). This is apparently
site-wide ... or can it be only in the wikigroups so defined by adding
include_once('cookbook/multilanguage.php');
in the relevant group local/*.php files?

If one adds the abovementioned line in the config.php file, that would
surely activate multilanguage in all groups. What happens if there are
XLpage language preferences already defined for specific wikigroups? Which
prevails?

Then I'm not clear on the implications of activating the UTF-8 feature. In
principle, it would be ideal if PmWiki used UTF-8 by default already. My
only concern is that there was some mention of complications in switching to
UTF-8 (in the context of discussions re RSS feeds) and I'm a little
concerned about unintended effects of various receipes on skins and
functions.

Basically what I'm looking for is:
1) the main wikigroups and selected other wikigroups being "multilingual" in
   a) English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
   b) maybe other languages
2) some wikigroups being language-specific because of their narrower
audience (these would be one or another of the languages in 1a).
3) Rephrasing the question from above, how best to achieve 1+2? Multilingual
for the whole site with exceptions for specific wikigroups, or multilingual
for selected wikigroups?

TIA for any feedback

Don