[pmwiki-users] Simple AJAX chat?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Tue Mar 6 08:36:12 CST 2007

On 3/6/07, kirpi at kirpi.it <kirpi at kirpi.it> wrote:
> > I may look into setting up a simple ajax chat system.
> > A friend in Vancouver show me some scripts for doing
> > stuff with ajax, and it looked relatively doable.
>
> Ajax, as far as I can witness (as a user), has its pros and cons.
> I would not make a key feature to have an *ajax* chat, as long as the
> chat works.
>
> One thought: although one could possibly code anything starting from
> the wiki, I thing that there might be some "specialized"  (and tested)
> tools around: at times it would be easier and better just to provide
> an integration, an interface, a plug, as a recipe.
>
> Luigi

Yes, it would be good, probably better in some ways, to  use a ready
made plug in.  But I would like something simpler that could be easily
integrated into the zap framework.  I know PmWiki and don't want to
have to learn some other system.  And PmWiki gives me the flexibility
I want.

I already have a working zap chat system, that was quite cool, but
there were some problems with the page refreshing.  All I need to do
is get the chat histories imported by ajax (to avoid flicker, etc.)
and it will be quite nice.  My friend promised to send me a couple
little scripts that would do that.  We'll see if I can get it to work.

Cheers,
Dan