[pmwiki-users] disabling page markup

Seth Cherney sethcherney at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 04:19:12 CST 2007

Sandy et al.,

I need to disable certain markups since:
1)  It is in conflict with other things on the site.
2)  It is causing invalid xhtml output, which is causing fatal errors in Saxon
3) I have about 500,000 pages equivalent of text, and when this goes live, it will be hard to control, so I am trying to button down the hatches.
4)  This is really being used as an embedded functionality on a site largely focused on academic search functionality - I just want to let people clean up the OCR and do a few other tasks, so I am really only using a small subset of pmwiki.

These issues are related to the way the inline text markup works.  they are using what I think are too common characters, so that in a large corpus, they come up elsewhere as purely coincidental patterns (cfr '-...-' for small - better using ~ etc whenever possible, or not using ''...'' for italics, but maybe ||...||).  I  know this gets complicated, but it causes conflict otherwise.

In terms of the invalid xhtml, it would be nice to simply disregard an opening tag of any sort if it does not close before a tag it should be nested in does, so that there would never be anything like:  <tag1>...<tag2>...</tag1>...</tag2>.  Thats a big no-go.

Thanks, Seth