[pmwiki-users] how to pass values to edit template?

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sat Mar 10 07:33:49 CST 2007

On Saturday 10 March 2007 12:08, SteP wrote:
> Is there a way to pass values to an edit template?
>
> What I have in mind is something like (I made up the syntax), say that
> EditTemplate includes
>
> field:{$$Value}
>
> then n=NewPage?action=edit?template=Group.EditTemplate?field=This would
> open NewPage in edit mode with
>
> field:This
>
> I'm not attached to the above syntax, I'm just looking for a simple way to
> expand values in edit templates, if there's a way.

You can use my modified version of NewPageBoxPlus:

http://galleries.accent-bg.com/pub/newpageboxplus.txt

It is more difficult to create a form, but after this, it is much more easier
and flexible to create new pages.

A typical form will be:

(:input form "{$PageUrl}":)(:input hidden n {$FullName}:)
(:input hidden action new:)(:input hidden save true:)
(:input hidden template Main.Template:)
: Group : (:input select base SvilenEnev.SvilenEnev label="Svilen Enev":)
(:input select base SergeEgikyan.SergeEgikyan label="Serge Egikyan":)
(:input select base PetkoYotov.PetkoYotov label="Petko Yotov":)
: Page name : (:input text name:)
: Description : (:input text description:)
(:input submit ok "Create new page":)
(:input end:)

Here is the template Main.Template:

(:title {name}:)
Here you can see some photos from {name}, taken by {$Groupspaced}.

{description}
(:thumblist:)

You have here two expanded fields {name} and {description}, but you can have
any number, and even arrays:
(:input checkbox "category[]" "[[!Home]]":) Home
(:input checkbox "category[]" "[[!Office]]":) Office

The "{category}" string from the template will be expanded to
"[[!Home]], [[!Office]]" if both are checked (comma-separated).

You can have any "field" in the create form, to expand it, the template must
have a string "{field}" (only latin letters, numbers and _). You can escape
variables or things in curly brackets by writing {field\} which will be
printed in the page {field} and not expanded.

The "input hidden save true", and what is before it, are required; other are
customizable.

I am using this for some months now and it works for me. I sent these
modifications to the recipe author November 14-15 2006 but as he did not
implement them, I believe he didn't like them much or didn't find them as
usefull as I did.

If you find it usefull, tell me.

There is also the beta version of the recipe AddDeleteLine2 that can achieve
similar things.

Cheers,
Petko