[pmwiki-users] New Recipe: PTVReplace

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Mar 12 12:23:08 CDT 2007

Hans, this is brilliant!  In fact, I'm wondering if I shouldn't reconsider
how ZAP handles it's text variables.  This approach could make some things,
at least a lot simpler .  Thanks for sharing the concept...

Currently in ZAP, you have the option of storing text variables in one of
two formats, (:field: value:) or (:if false:) field = value.  The latter is
nice because you can hide information from users who might retrieve the
information as a text var on some other page, or even in a forum post or
whatever.  If I eliminated these hidden field formats, forced admins to
store private data on pages users could not read--and switched to PTV's
approach of updating values, it would make several ZAP functions MUCH
simpler.  Wow...

Second, just curious if you have any provision for multiline textvars?  And
on a related note, have you noticed any problems with input of ' or " or :)
?  ZAP has it's own encoding system but one I would like to simplify.  If
you have not noticed any problems with entering these characters, that would
be another plus for exploring what you have done a bit further.

Finally, on another note, it just struck me from the explanations on your
recipe page that ZAP can also be made to function in terms of links and
markups as well as form submissions.  I just hadn't realized it!  Your
insight has been a great inspiration!

Cheers,
Dan