[pmwiki-users] RFC: capitalization collision handling

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 12 13:23:46 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:15:26PM +0100, Oliver Betz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> [force new links and pagenames to the existing capitalization]
>
> > Actually, the check needs to be performed for every link that
> > appears in a page at the time the page is displayed, not just when
> > it is saved.
>
> The display of links isn't what I wanted to address but only the
> _creation_ of clashing groups or pages.

Oh.  You're correct, creation of a clashing name is a different
issue.

So, if I understand it correctly, you're wanting to prevent
creation of pages with names that differ only in case from
an existing page?

Yes, this can be done, but I think I'll leave it for a recipe
instead of doing this in the core (unless there's a huge
amount of demand for this feature).

Preventing the creation of a new group differing only
in case from an existing group is slightly harder, but
could also be done.

> I also know that (without some locking between the directory scan and
> the page creation) it's not completely impossible to create
> conflicting groups or pages, but I think it reduces the possibility
> enough.

Actually, PmWiki does sufficient locking that this really
shouldn't be an issue.