[pmwiki-users] UTF-8 as core default encoding (was: Headers arenotsending charset !)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 12 15:07:46 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 03:03:57PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:46:32PM +0100, Petko Yotov wrote:
> > On Monday 12 March 2007 16:53, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > > preg_match supports the /u modifier, but the /u modifier doesn't
> > > cause either /i or [[:upper:]]/[[:lower:]] in patterns to work.
> > > All that the /u modifier does is cause PCRE to recognize multibyte utf-8
> > > sequences as being single characters (and that doesn't seem to
> > > matter much for the patterns that PmWiki uses).
> >
> > Actually, from PHP 4.4.0 on, there is a \p{Ll} and \p{Lu} for lower and upper
> > case letters[1].
>
> Wow, this is very good news.  This will be helpful.

It is also important to remember that there are a lot of sites still
running PHP 4.3 and 5.0, so we'll still need workarounds.  However,
this does mean that we can start to look more optimistically at the
possibility of defaulting the core to utf-8 (assuming we can
manage the transitions appropriately).

Thanks again!