[pmwiki-users] PmWiki not creating directories for uploads

Simon s-i-m-o-n at paradise.net.nz
Fri Mar 16 01:10:24 CDT 2007

On page
http://ttc.org.nz/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Photos/Test
I get

      PmWiki can't process your request

PmWiki needs to have a writable
/home/ttc/public_html/pmwikiuploads/Photos/TemplateUpload/ directory
before it can continue. You can create the directory manually by
executing the following commands on your server:

    mkdir /home/ttc/public_html/pmwikiuploads/Photos//home/ttc/public_html/pmwikiuploads/Photos/TemplateUpload
    chmod 777 /home/ttc/public_html/pmwikiuploads/Photos//home/ttc/public_html/pmwikiuploads/Photos/TemplateUpload

I don't believe these command are correct, but what I am trying to
achieve is for this to happen without this error message.

My ISP has been kind enough to set safe_mode_gid On and I have enabled
diag on the above page.
File permissions for /Photos/ is set to 777

The environment is PHP v4.3.10, System  Linux turtle 2.6.12.6-xen
Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-18 mod_perl/1.29
latest version of PmWiki beta
I use   $UploadPrefixFmt = '/$Group/$Name';

I have read
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Uploads
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UploadsAdmin
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FilePermissions

the latter implies there is no solution to my problem,
but I'm not familiar with Unix,
so my question is

is there anything else I can do (save turning off safe mode which my ISP
won't do) to permit PmWiki to create directories into which it can write?

I have a corollary question (don't answer it until you've answered the
above) and that is,
if this is a problem for other people would it be reasonable/possible to
add a recipe/feature where one (a webmaster) could manually create a
number of directories that PmWiki could then use (assuming it can rename
them) so that from the user's point of view it just works ?

thanks in advance
Simon