[pmwiki-users] PmWiki forum...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Mar 17 00:05:05 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:45:09PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:50:10PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> > I think at least for questions like these there should be a searchable
> > forum for people to ask questions and get answers. Most recent
> > questions posted at the top.  Each question on its own page, with
> > comments.  It would take 5 minutes to do it in ZAP or FOX.  Is there
> > some reason we don't have something like that?
>
> ...because I've never been convinced that it will be a significant
> improvement over what we have now.

I should also note that this was the original form and intent of the
Cookbook -- i.e., each page consisted of a "question" about how to
do something in PmWiki, followed by an answer resolving the question
(which often included a script or configuration information).

So, even when we were doing things that way, most people found the
mailing list more convenient.

All that said, I don't see any reason why we can't do this in
the Cookbook, especially for questions that don't fit naturally
in the PmWiki documentation.  Then we could easily generate a
pagelist of all Cookbook recipes that answer questions (e.g., by
using a Question: page text variable or something like that).

We could also provide a form or template that makes it easy to create
new "questions" as pages in the cookbook.  Then when someone answers
the question it automaticaly acts like a new recipe page.  (And it
might then be important to have a way to quickly locate question pages
that are lacking answers -- but that could be done with an [[!AnswerMe]]
category.)