[pmwiki-users] ID in wiki markups

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 20 20:26:04 CDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 08:06:43PM -0300, Guillermo Calderon - INCO wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I have a doubt about the inclusion of ID fields in some markups.
> For instance:
>
>    * tables
>    * input, form
>    * styles %%
>    * div and >>..<<
>    * (:div ... :)
>
> In this markups, the author can write an id field wich will be
> converted to and html id atributte.
> The problem is that it is posible to obtain non-valid html
> code since duplicates ids can appear.

Yes, it's possible in PmWiki to write pages such that
duplicate ids can appear.  PmWiki prevents against this
as much as it reasonably can (e.g., duplicate [[#anchor]]
tags do not repeat ids), but trying to always output
absolutely perfect HTML is likely more trouble than it's
worth.

At some point we just have to expect authors to give us
reasonable input, or to do something reasonable with whatever
the authors give us.  :-)