[pmwiki-users] Cookbook cleanup #2

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 21 13:00:25 CDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:21:39AM -0400, Kevin Hayes wrote:
> I've edited about 50 or so Cookbook pages, mostly adding the recipe
> info block and filling it with information from lower in the page.

Yes, I've noticed -- many thanks!

> A few questions:
>
> Should “Votes” be part of the Recipe Info block? If so, how is it
> supposed to be used and where do we tell people how to use it?

Currently "Votes:" is not part of the recipeinfo block.  I put
it in a few pages to be able to provide some measure of a
recipe's popularity, but a lot of people didn't like it.

> Should we move extensive comments/discussions to the page's Talk page?
> I'd leave comments within the rest of the page's text, but move a
> discrete comment section off-page.

Use your best judgement.  If the recipe maintainer is actively
participating in the comments/discussions, then let them decide
when to move comments.  If there are a lot of comments but
no active maintainer, then use your own judgement.

> Should there be a category for:
>   Candidate for removal
>   Candidate for obsoletion
>   Candidate for moving

Rather than have separate categories for each, how about a
simple [[!ReviewMe]] category for all of them, along with
a note about what ought to be reviewed.

The [[!ReviewMe]] tag doesn't have to go in recipeinfo -- it
can go near the top of the article.

Another possibility is to do something like

    (:include RemovalCandidate:)

which could have some standard text that says "this recipe is
a candidate for removal... respond below if you think it should
be removed or kept".

> Questionable categories:
>   Modules

I don't think we need a "Modules" keyword.

> We may want a page or two for proposed categories and category
> deletion.

That sounds a bit like too much administrative overhead to me.
My preference would be that to propose a new category someone
simply adds it (if the majority disagrees we can refactor easily),
and category deletion is just done by moving all of the pages
in the category to a different category.

> Are we using keywords?

If/where appropriate, yes.

> I enjoy doing this kind of work, and have an extensive
> background in editing and tech writing. I can't code PHP worth a
> damn, so I can contribute in this area.

And it is greatly appreciated -- thanks!