[pmwiki-users] leading spaces switch for 2.2.0 (somewhat important)

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat Mar 24 04:25:50 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> Based on a number of recent events, I'm thinking of switching the
> PmWiki default in 2.2.0 so that leading whitespace characters
> no longer produce preformatted text.  It would of course be
> available as an option for those who want it, or for those
> who have sites that have a lot of preformatted text based
> on the leading whitespace rule.
>
> Yes, this would mean substantially fixing up many existing
> preformatted sections of the PmWiki docs, and yes, I'm up for
> doing that if we decide to make this switch.
>
> This would not completely supplant the LiteralWhitespace
> recipe, as this only deals with removing the special
> interpretation of leading spaces as preformatted text.
>
> I've started a page for voting at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/VoteOnLeadingWhitespace .
> Discussion can take place either on the mailing list or at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/VoteOnLeadingWhitespace-Talk .
>
> Thanks in advance for opinions and comments!

Providing the "old" behaviour can be retained, then I have no objections
to the proposed change. That said, I fail to understand the difficulty
it seems to cause; I haven't encountered anyone who couldn't deal with
the syntax once understood - a one sentence, one time thing - no
different to '' for emphasis, etc.

Patient: When I poke myself in the eye it hurts.
Dr.: Then don't poke yourself in the eye.

What is being proposed seems, to me, like enforcing the wearing of eye
protection because some individuals can't stop poking themselves in the
eye.

Surely, if you don't want the behaviour, then don't add whitespace to
the start of you lines.

Then again, I can always write a recipe to put the behaviour back, I
guess. But then better understanding whatever the issue is would help.

--
Cheers,
Marc