[pmwiki-users] A Would it Work? Question

Dave Brockman daveb at oz.net
Sun Mar 25 04:47:34 CDT 2007

Hans wrote:
> Saturday, March 24, 2007, 10:44:54 AM, Dave wrote:
>

>>Suppose I create a Page1 in group Alpha which uses :include: to include
>>information from several pages also named Page1 in other groups. On the
>>server I would then copy Alpha/Page1 to Alpha/Page2 and, with an editor
>>(like sed), change any references to Page1 in the file to Page2. If I
>>then create a link in the wiki to Alpha/Page2, would the page exist?
>

> You can rename the filenames of wiki pages, and the page will exists
> with its new name in your wiki. To change the internal name (inside
> the file) is not so important. PmWiki will sort this out when the page
> gets edited at some point.
>
> Link references inside the page will only work if either the pagename
> is full: Group plus Name, or you have not moved th epage into a
> differnet group , i.e. changed the Group part of the name.
>
> In your example changing all internal references from Page1 to Page2
> will also change references to pages in other groups with name Page1,
> since now the links will point to Group.Page2 instead. So that may not
> be what you desired.
>

> Hans

Thanks Hans! This gives me the confidence to try it. At least manually
for one page. The internal references *are* Group plus Name. They appear
mostly in :include: directives and Edit links to the "other" group
pages. The plan is to allow pages in the other groups to be edited but
not the display pages in the Alpha group. This seems to work, the Alpha
pages are nice and simple, but I am not sure it is the best way.

Dave