[pmwiki-users] Sidebar as a Pagetree ?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun Mar 25 17:16:37 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 12:02:13AM +0200, St?phane Heckel wrote:
> ok, let's keep this two-level hierarchy and let's assume we don't want to
> change it to minimize the impact on pmwiki.
> what I'm talking about is more about the way the menu is displayed.
>
> Let's consider that in my example
> http://jamanga.free.fr/confluence/Pagetree.PNG, I would have a group called
> "Sales" and 4 pages that all belong to this group :
> - Sales.Sales
> - Sales.Process
> - Sales.EvaluationForm
> - Sales.Programs
>
> Whith this approach, we do not change the two-level hierarchy and we only
> need to find a way how to define the menu & submenu & subsubmenu
> maybe something  like ... ie :
>
> * [[Main/HomePage]]
> * [[Sales/Sales]]
>    - [[Sales/Process]]
>       -- [[Sales/EvaluationForm]]
>    - [[Sales/Programs]]
>
> I'm sure this is realistic and it would be a huge benefit for end-users &
> developpers !
> and the only work to do would be to develop a script to read the new sidebar
> syntax ?
> Can someone confirm ?

Um, I'm confused.  If you're making the sidebar by hand (rather than
automatically generating the hierarchy by some means) surely all you
need is to create nested lists?

* [[Main/HomePage]]
* [[Sales/Sales]]
** [[Sales/Process]]
*** [[Sales/EvaluationForm]]
** [[Sales/Programs]]

Then you can use CSS to make sure that these lists display differently
depending on what level the item is at.

See http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/ for a starting point
as to how to do that.

You can put your magnificent CSS into pub/css/local.css and it should
override the other CSS definitions.

No scripts needed, just CSS.

Kathryn Andersen