[pmwiki-users] leading spaces switch for 2.2.0 (somewhat important)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 26 09:06:52 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:03:53AM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 3/26/07, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
> > The syntax exists; it's a very easy to use; it is used frequently.
>
> Granted.  Still doesn't tell me at all what you use it for.  I have
> NEVER used it until the latest revisions of my recipes, and then only
> for config pages.  Again, I was and still am honestly curious how
> other admins use this rule.

One doesn't have to look far to find this -- given that my original
post said...

    "Yes, this would mean substantially fixing up many existing
    preformatted sections of the PmWiki docs, and yes, I'm up for
    doing that if we decide to make this switch." [1]

...it's pretty clear that there is at least one admin (me) that has
made fairly heavy use of this rule and there are lots of examples
there to look at.  :-)

Although, over the past couple of years I've been slowly converting
leading spaces to other more explicit markups in anticipation that
the documentation might be viewed on sites where the leading space
rule is disabled.  But the primary reason for using the leading space
rule is that the resulting markup _looks_ nicer when edited -- it's
the difference between writing (or seeing):

    This is
    some preformatted
    text.

and