[pmwiki-users] Absolute URLs, why does it generate them?

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Mon Mar 26 15:42:05 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:01:19PM -0400, Sandy wrote:
>> In the default install, pmwiki puts absolute urls in the HTML file, even
>> for pages within the same wiki?
>>
> However, now that I read this it occurs to me that we could introduce
> a $EnableRelativeUrls configuration option, and then those parts of
> PmWiki that can safely use relative references could strip the
> scheme and server portion of the urls from the output.  This would
> include internal page links.
>
> That could be a very useful compromise.

Sounds like it would work, but I wouldn't be the one programming it.

>> Is this the reason httrack and other site-copying programs don't work?
>
> It could be.  I've typically used the -k option to wget(1) in order
> to download copies of pages; the -k option tells wget to automatically
> adjust links after it downloads everything.  That's always worked for
> me.  (See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ExportHTML .)

I don't have shell access yet, so wget won't work for me. (Finds old
note to self to get it, moves it closer to top of pile.) I was thinking
of saving each page with Firefox. Not totally sure if it would work even
with relative references. (Yep, small site.) Then again, I'd have to
make sure everything was named properly, ... sounds like even with
relative references, getting and learning wget would be easier. One more
idea bites the dust.

Thanks for the info!

Sandy