[pmwiki-users] Navigation structure problems

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Fri Mar 30 22:36:33 CDT 2007

On 2007-03-30 Sergio Lopes is rumoured to have said:
> * [[Projects/School]]
> ** [[School/A0203 | 2002-2003]]
> ** [[School/A0304 | 2003-2004]]
> ** [[School/A0405 | 2004-2005]]
> ** [[School/A0506 | 2005-2006]]
> ** [[School/A0607 | 2006-2007]]
> *** [[A0607/GCVPN | Grid Computing over VPN]]
> * [[Projects/HP48G | Virtual HP48G]]
>
> The menu ends up the way I want, the navigation, when I click the pages is what is giving me problems.
> If I click the "Grid Computing over VPN" link, I end up in a page with a link in the top for a page named A0607 that does not exist. What I wanted was for the link to refer to School.A0607. Is there a way to do that?

The general form of the links you are using is:
[[Groupname/Pagename]]

So ignoring the readable name portions (such as "Virtual HP48G"), the
links you have created are:

[[Projects/School]]  -- goes to the page School in the group Projects
[[School/A0203]]  -- goes to the page A0203 in the group School
[[A0607/GCVPN]]  -- goes to the page GCVPN in the group A0607

I am not sure how you want to organize your pages, so I can't suggest
how to do it. It *looks* like you are trying to simulate a multi-level
heirarchy like this:
Projects/School/A0607/GCVPN

But PmWiki only has 2 levels - groups and pages. I suspect that you may
be able to accomplish what you want with some careful naming
conventions. For example:
Projects-School-A0607/GCVPN
puts the GCVPN page into the Projects-School-A0607 group.

There are some recipes that formalize this structure, but they may be
overkill for your needs. Look at this page:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/HierarchicalGroups

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/