[pmwiki-users] Drafts, moderated wikis, and PITS 00755

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 30 22:51:47 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:14:34PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:32:21PM -0400, Scott Connard wrote:
> > 4. Pm: Are you considering a Publish password so that publishers are
> > given special permissions via a password attr (including id and
> > groups in AuthUser)?

Rethinking a bit... the three (not two) approaches in my previous message
were:

1.  Introduce a "publish" authorization level, so that "edit" authorization
    is sufficient to create and update drafts, and "publish" is required to
    save to the original page.

2.  Introduce a "draft" authorization level, so that "edit" authorization
    is required to save to the original page, and "draft" is sufficient to
    create or update drafts.

3.  Use a third central page that uses its edit password to define "publish
    authority" for other pages.

I'm now leaning away from #3 as being too far outside the norm for the
way PmWiki handles other things, and towards either #1 or #2.

Assuming we go with #1 (introduce 'publish'), an admin wanting
full moderation on a site would do:

    $EnableDrafts = 1;
    $DefaultPassword['publish'] = crypt('secret');

This allows anyone with edit privileges to create or update a draft, but
only someone with the 'secret' password would be allowed to save to the
original.

Assuming we go with #2 (introduce 'draft'), an admin wanting
institute full moderation on a site would do:

    $EnableDrafts = 1;
    $DefaultPassword['edit'] = crypt('publishpassword');
    $DefaultPassword['draft'] = '';

This says that edit privileges are required to save to the original page,
while 'draft' privileges (above indicates no password) are needed to create
or update a draft.

Of course, with either approach it would be possible to use GroupAttributes
or individual page attributes to override the default password setting.

Does either approach seem more 'natural'?

Thanks!