[pmwiki-users] Navigation structure problems

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Sat Mar 31 07:49:05 CDT 2007

On 2007-03-31 Sergio Lopes is rumoured to have said:
> Hi,
> I'm really trying what it looks like :)
> I don't understand the group and page relation between the pages I create. I'll have to take a very good look at the documentation.
> I had some problems with page naming before, some pages ended up being invalid urls and thus not created.
> When you talk about naming Projects-School-A0607/GCVPN does this mean I'll have a page/group with the name por will I have 3 pages?

Projects-School-A0607/GCVPN is one page (GCVPN) in the
Projects-School-A0607 group.

You can create any number of pages in PmWiki. You can name these pages
almost anything you want. You *cannot* use a slash (/) in a page name
because the slash is used as a separator between groups (descibed below)
and pages.

For example, here are 4 legal page names:

Projects-School-A0607-GCVPN
School-A0607-GCVPN
A0607-GCVPN
GCVPN

Each of these is a different page. There is no relationship between the
pages other than the one readers form in their minds based on the names.

But if you had 3 pages named:
Projects-School-A0203
Projects-School-A0405
Projects-School-A0607

You might decide to arrange them into a page group. PmWiki uses the
prefix Groupname/ to denote groups.

You could organize your pages into a Projects-School group, in which
case you could name them:
Projects-School/A0203
Projects-School/A0405
Projects-School/A0607

Here you have one group (Projects-School) that contains 3 pages (A0203,
A0405, A0607).

Or, you could organize your pages into a Projects group, in which case
you could name them:
Projects/School-A0203
Projects/School-A0405
Projects/School-A0607

Here you have one group (Projects) that contains 3 pages (School-A0203,
School-A0405, School-A0607).

*****
PS: When replying to mailing list postings be sure to include
<pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com> as a recipient. Pressing "Reply-All" usually
does this automatically.

--
Neil Herber