[pmwiki-users] Limit display of diffs

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sat May 5 23:06:24 CDT 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007 03:12, Vince Administration wrote:
> Patrick,
> I asked a bit ago about displaying only the first, or most recent
> diffs, since I could not find anything in the cookbooks. But a search
> of the gmane archives revealed
> PITS00544, where PetkoYotov had an elegant solution, which
> unfortunately modifies a system file. But the fix is so simple,
> adding a $DiffCountPerPage  variable, which
> of course can be set on the config file of any particular page. I
> added my vote to the PITS, but it has been so long that perhaps this
> has been forgotten. Or maybe this capability has been added in a
> different form. But I could not find it. Unless someone objects, I
> will add a pointer from the ExpireDiffs cookbook page, since this is
> where someone  might look. And let me
> add
> Good work, PetkoYotov.
>
>   Vince

Thanks! :-) :-)

No, afaik there is no other way to limit the displayed diffs per page, except
deleting them with ExpireDiffs.

I submitted this patch more than a year ago and it is cool that it still
works. Actually, the system file pagerev.php has not changed since then, so
the patch is still up-to-date.

I wanted this change, because I believe *all* page history should be kept on a
public wiki, and I am also influenced by my experience with Wikipedia. see
also the section:
   4. Why provide full version history?     in
   http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?VersionHistory

And, when a page has a long history, it is sometimes hard /slow for the
browser to display it. A long page with a couple of vandal defacements and
reverts, quadruples the length of the history page.

The change is small and changes nothing to the current behaviour of PmWiki,
only wikis with a setting $DiffCountPerPage=Number in config.php can benefit
from it.

Thanks,
Petko