[pmwiki-users] Pagelists caching

Christophe David pmwiki at christophedavid.org
Sun May 13 02:57:52 CDT 2007

I could not resist the temptation to experiment with PmWiki as data storage,
as several recipes already do.

Compared to a database table structure,

- a PmWIki group represents a table
- a PmWiki page in this group represents a row of the table
- PageTextVariable represent columns of the row

Using pagelists and pagelist templates, this approach works extremely well
and offers many advantages, especialy considering there is no need for a
database engine and the associated work.

One drawback is of course the performance: a filtered/sorted/well presented
pagelist with 2.500 pages/rows takes about 30 seconds to render on my host,
which is much too long to be acceptable.  The data I store do not currently
change often (less than once a week).

I understand there is work in progress on pagelist caching.  Can we expect
major speed improvement or is it not realistic ?

If not, or as a quick improvement before more important changes, could we
somehow add an option to the pagelist markup like "StoreresultToPage=
groupname.pagename", that would save the result to a static page (which
would not need to be recalculated each time) ?

If yes, this could be further improved by letting this process automagically
happen once every n minutes, so that only one visitor every n minutes would
have to wait for the full generation ?

Any other ideas to improve speed ?

Thank you in anticipation.

Christophe