[pmwiki-users] pagelists link= with pages generated externally

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 22 09:21:58 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 08:40:27AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> If yes, then the problem is that PmWiki can't
> see that a page has been created by an external program, and
> therefore doesn't realize that the pagelist cache it's already
> created is invalid.

One way that we could improve things here would be to provide
an avenue whereby an external application could create a plain
text file somewhere, and then issue a command to PmWiki telling
it to update the page with the contents of the text file.  Then
PmWiki could handle generating all of the meta information it
needs (targets=, invalidating caches, updating indexes, etc.).

Suppose we have a "load directory" where external applications
place the text content they want added to PmWiki.  Then, when
PmWiki is told (or detects) that there are new pages to be
converted, it just does the conversion.

Of course, the tricky part in this is managing the files in the
directory.  For example, after PmWiki has finished converting
a text file in the load directory into a page, should it eliminate
the original text file?  Or should it leave it there, but somehow
keep a marker of which files it has processed?  Or what other
options would there be?