[pmwiki-users] pagelists link= with pages generated externally

Christophe David pmwiki at christophedavid.org
Tue May 22 11:09:17 CDT 2007

> One way that we could improve things here would be to provide
> an avenue whereby an external application could create a plain
> text file somewhere, and then issue a command to PmWiki telling
> it to update the page with the contents of the text file.  Then
> PmWiki could handle generating all of the meta information it
> needs (targets=, invalidating caches, updating indexes, etc.).

> Of course, the tricky part in this is managing the files in the
> directory.  For example, after PmWiki has finished converting
> a text file in the load directory into a page, should it eliminate
> the original text file?  Or should it leave it there, but somehow
> keep a marker of which files it has processed?  Or what other
> options would there be?

This would be extremely useful.

At first glance, I would suggest

- to define an "import" directory
- to create a file .lastimport (like .lastmod)
- to let Pmwiki check every time it runs if .lastimport is older than n minutes
- to take all files in the import directory that have a name that
meets the PmWiki naming conventions and to use their content as if a
user had typed it in the PmWiki edit form
- then the imported file could be renamed (,imported012345678 for example).

I guess that would not ne too complicated to do and would really make
life easier.

I am more than willing to do whatever testing you need to have this
implemented !

Thanks a lot !

Christophe